Monday, November 07, 2005

A good day

Every once in a while, I have a good teaching day. The planets align or something, and not only am I planned out well, can find everything on my desk, and attend every meeting I'm supposed to, but the kids actually seem to be able to articulate that they are learning something.

We used Transparency 5 in the "Fine Art Transparencies" book. A Speculation on the Possibility That There Might Be Another Earth Out There, or something like that. We read "There Will Come Soft Rains" by Bradbury last Friday, and so we were comparing it and it's tone to the artwork. I love when I'm not sure about something, and it gets pulled off.

Of course, it wasn't a perfect day. I think I scared my student teacher to death.

See, I have a teacher friend, Ms. C., who is always calling me with funny voices, pretending she is a parent with a complaint. This morning, while I was trying to unjam the copy machine, and instead shredding the paper that was stuck, and subsequently getting yelled at by the school receptionist, who I'm supposed to get before trying to fix the damn machine on my own, my cell phone rang.

I heard a very faint and cracky voice.."Ms. X? Hel---o?"

Meanwhile the chastising from the secretary is continuing, the other copy machine is chugging away, and I can't hear a thing.
"What?!" I say, irritated. I hear something, and realize it's Ms. C,
"What do you want? What is it? Catherine!" I go out into the hallway to hear her.

Except it wasn't Catherine. It was my poor little student teacher who sounded like she has strep throat, calling me to tell me she was sick and not coming in. Boy. What an evil woman I am.

Whatever she's got, I hope it's not catching.

No comments: