Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Day 6

So, my idea about writing every day this year has already been shot to hell. I'm just so frigging tired after work.

I got a new student in my reading class today. I have a bad gut feeling about H.D. He kinda snuck into the room after the bell rang, sat in the very last row in the corner seat behind someone, and said nothing. Another student had to point out there was a new kid in the class.

I don't always know there's going to be a new kid until one shows up. There's all kinds of changes happening right now, because of schedule changes and so on. H.D. was on vacation last week. He's an eighth grader, but didn't go to our school last year.

I went to him, and introduced myself, stuck out my hand to shake his, and he just looked at it. I said, "How are you?" and tried again. He graced my fingers with a brief limp hand, and was silent. What's your name?" I asked.

"mumble"

"I'm sorry, I didn't catch that, what?"

"mumble"

"I can't hear you so well, could you say it again?

"H---D---"

I tried another route.
"Do you have your class schedule with you?" I figured I could get his name off of that.
He shook his head "no."
"Oh, did you transfer from Mr. J.'s room?" He's the other reading teacher, it was possible that he just switched over.
He shook his head "no."
Oh, so is this your first day back to school?"
A small nod of the head.
"Can I see your schedule then? I need to write your name and student number down."

He looked at me then, with pissed-off eyes under bangs that needed to be cut. He shrugged his shoulders as if I was speaking Greek.
"You know, it's blue, it lists all your classes, teachers and room numbers?"

He rooted around in his pocket.

"You must've used it to find this room. How did you know to come here second period?"

Finally the paper was retrieved.

What a little shit. I don't usually say that so quickly, but there was something about this child that really bothered me. Something is raging inside him. And it scares me.

I'm hoping he tests into Mr. J.'s class tomorrow.

No comments: